Opinions on Jupiter Horns?

FlyingPies

I've been using a Jupiter XO 1602 for a while now and really like how it feels to play. I've heard that a lot of people dislike Jupiter instruments, but that they've gone uphill recently. I'm curious as to how you guys feel about them. (Note: I've only been playing about five years, now)

A few years ago at an ITG conference I played the ZO 1601 model that Jupiter worked with Roger Ingram on.  It played great and the quality was perfection.  I've not played the XO1602, but assuming it is also as a good of a trumpet.

I think when Jupiter trumpets first came to the US, they were focused on student level trumpets with a student level type of quality.  They are mfg. in Taiwan (assume China) now by KHS, and assume the early experiences of those student model trumpets have damaged the brand as a professional series trumpet. That said, I think the Jupiter XO series has started to change that experience.

What are others experiences?

Haven't played any of the Jupiter professional trumpets. Bought a student level Jupiter Shepherd' s crook cornet. It was a well built and designed cornet. It just didn't sound right to me.

There was been excellent reviews on the Jupiter professional trumpet.

https://www.cmuse.org/best-professional-trumpet/

Discussion on one of the other trumpet blogs.

https://www.trumpetherald.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=141850&highlight=jupiter

• 2 months later...

XO Brass has grown to now be separate a separate band from Jupiter, but still under the umbrella of the KHS family of instrument brands. XO was actually founded by a renowned Japanese instrument maker, and XOs continue to be made in TAIWAN, not China. Newer XO instruments are no longer stamped with the Jupiter name because they have indeed advanced. One of the reasons is that KHS is extremely receptive and welcoming of artist contributions in the overall design. Check the XO site, and you will notice that the U.S. roster of artists alone has grown immensely. In fact, American artists and employees (KHS America, Mt. Juliet, TN) are greatly valued.

As for Jupiter, the quality of student and intermediate instruments had gone from mediocre (pre-1990s) to exceptional today. From price point and reliability, they are a staple among band instrument rentals and band room inventory. The XO professional trumpets come with an amazing array of options, and are worth trying. The professional piccolo trumpet is a standout, and a serious competitor against traditional brands.

• Like 1

• 7 months later...

First student horn I got was a Jupiter. I compared it to a king, Bach, and Yamaha student model at the time, and picked it cause I liked it best of the 3. Nothing wrong with a Jupiter horn. I would assume they have good pro horns too!

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

So I bought a Jupiter 520 M cornet with a best offer from ebay. Free shipping was a plus. It looks in excellent shape. Since it is in state should arrive fairly soon. So now I have two cornets and one trumpet  to keep, one cornet and one trumpet to sell. 

Received the Jupiter 520 M cornet today. Gave it a bath and through cleaning.

Cornet and case is  in excellent shape. Plays very with the 5 C mouthpiece and DW 4 C short shank clone mouthpiece. Not so well with the Jupiter 7 C mouthpiece.

Bought thus cornet for my youngest daughter, hopefully she will play this cornet in the future. 

• 4 weeks later...

the experience I had was terrible I had a Jupiter for 3 years and bought a blessing 125 and it was better that the intermediate horn I was playing but I recommend Eastmen I play one and its amazing

On 7/5/2020 at 10:23 PM, gsg said:

the experience I had was terrible I had a Jupiter for 3 years and bought a blessing 125 and it was better that the intermediate horn I was playing but I recommend Eastmen I play one and its amazing

On 7/5/2020 at 10:23 PM, gsg said:

the experience I had was terrible I had a Jupiter for 3 years and bought a blessing 125 and it was better that the intermediate horn I was playing but I recommend Eastmen I play one and its amazing. 

As noted in a previous post I owed a Jupiter cornet, the sound was a little off. Probably made, before the currently company owed it. The Jupiter student cornet sounds as good, if not better than previous student cornet I owed. Have owed Getzen, Yamaha, Bach, King, Conn and other brands. Both trumpets, cornets, Field Bugle, and trombone. 

Glad you are liking your Eastman trumpet. Very well made dependable trumpet. In my area the music store rents out Eastman instruments to the schools.