Uprgrade question

gsg

I have been playing a Blessing b-125 for a few yrs and am in need of an up grade 

I need advice what to get that is under 500$

with so many options on the internet Im overwelmed 

Thank u

Edited by gsg

My best suggestion (and you should consider others as well) is to find an Olds Special, the nickel-silver/brass one with the bronze bell flare.  An image can be found here: http://rouses.net/trumpet/olds66/specialtpt.htm  .  IMO it has no vices, intonation is decent, as is the sound.  Olds brass instruments earned a reputation for durability and for excellent valves.  Olds also committed to the appearance of their horns; they designed visual appeal into every horn, not a bad thing at all.  It has a relatively bright sound, which is fine, but if you want a darker sound, the Olds Special will respond nicely to a deeper mouthpiece.  Although some consider this model to be an intermediate-level instrument, there are players who have used it professionally who would dispute this characterization.  

Be careful to look for one that has not been molested, has a decent finish, and one that has good valve compression.  It's not too hard to find one that meets these specifications.  Be aware that, although almost all you find will have at least acceptable compression, if you end up with one that doesn't, you'll be looking spending about $450 to make things right.  If you find a good one and for some reason this model doesn't fit you or suit you, rest assured that you can recover your investment by reselling it.

What are you looking for in a trumpet? I agree with Jericho, try before you buy. Olds Special is an excellent recommendation. 

My suggestion would be a Getzen 700 Eterna silver plated trumpet, not the Getzen Sp model. Early models were known as the Doc Severson model. It has a 1st slide thumb ring and 3rd slide adjustable ring and Amado waterkeys. 

If you buy a used trumpet, replace the springs, felts and corks as needed. 

I have owed several Getzen trumpets, including the 590 and the 700. Very happy with my Getzen Renaissance professional trumpet and my 800 Eterna professional cornet. 

I have owed more trumpets or cornets than I care to remember. Please buy a well known brand. 

Have you looked at the Southwest VA Craigslist. There is a Getzen 700 trumpet listed for $450.00 it is located in Ashville. Probably more in that price range. Reverb website  has many trumpets listed in that price range. The Yamaha 4335 caught my eye. 

Good luck in your search

We are a few hours away from Ashville, and both Reverb and Craigslist have no trumpets within nearly 100 miles of here. I'd have to play one to know if I could live with it. My Blessing is very OLD and tired and beat up and I'm just ready to move on to something better. It was used and we've spent a lot on it to replace parts and have welds fixed and other stuff. I'm playing 2nd trumpet in my 4th year of HS marching and concert band. Thanks for your help. Are the new trumpets in this price range not worth looking at? There's a Levante? at Guitar Center for about $400 new. Thanks again. 

1 hour ago, gsg said:

We are a few hours away from Ashville, and both Reverb and Craigslist have no trumpets within nearly 100 miles of here. I'd have to play one to know if I could live with it. My Blessing is very OLD and tired and beat up and I'm just ready to move on to something better. It was used and we've spent a lot on it to replace parts and have welds fixed and other stuff. I'm playing 2nd trumpet in my 4th year of HS marching and concert band. Thanks for your help. Are the new trumpets in this price range not worth looking at? There's a Levante? at Guitar Center for about $400 new. Thanks again. 

Very impressed you are doing well on your current trumpet. So the Getzen 700 trumpet is no longer available on the Southeast Craigslist?

Could you contact your band director or other trumpet players for possible leads on a used trumpet? Have you contacted any music stores in your area on available trumpets? Is there any rent to own options at the music stores? Does Knoxville have a better music stores than Asheville? Is there a university nearby that has a music program? Contact some of the universities you plan to attend, maybe they have good used trumpets. 

Don't think buying any $400.00 new off brand trumpet is worth you money. Have never heard of Levant trumpet. Would be concerned that it may not last to long, unknown brands are hard to fix or find parts for them. It has been my experience that unknown Chinese made trumpets do not last long. One of my  chinese made so called professional cornet will need to have all the seams resolidered. Only paid $145.00 dollars for it. Probably will cost in repairs, what l paid for the Cornet. 

Likely any trumpet is better than what you have now. The final decision is yours. You have much more patience than I do. Definitely much more ability on the trumpet. If possible buy a well known trumpet brand. 

Another suggestion, contact Austin Custom Brass.com

Email:info@austincustombrass.com

If you want to talk to them, you may have to make a appointment. 

They buy new trumpets, modify and improve them. 

Very reputable company. 

I agree with Jericho.  A new quality trumpet can not be found at the $500.00 dollars price point. 

A new intermediate trumpet is at least $1,600 dollars. Doesn't include shipping or sales tax. 

Take your time buying a new trumpet, get what you need. 

If your trumpet is unplayable, buy a reasonably used trumpet for marching band. One that may not be pretty but playable. 

Have you talked to your band director about trumpets or the 1st trumpet chair in the band? Either one would be a valuable resource. 

What trumpet brand and models are played in your high school band? Also what trumpet brand and model at the university, you will be attending. 

You got this far on the trumpet you are playing. 

I have never bought a new trumpet, the Getzen Renaissance trumpet is the most I played for a trumpet. I made a low ball bid. It was listed for $985.00, bought it for $720.00 before shipping and tax. 

Be patient.

I am someone who has bought to to many instruments and has zero patience. But sometimes the right instrument falls in your lap. It is worth the wait. 

Ended up buying a Andreas Eastman ETR520 Trumpet on ebay for about $200 after talking to a local dealer who is a trumpet fanatic. 😃

Thanks again for all your help. 

Congratulations on the your purchase. Great price. Are you keeping your old trumpet for marching band? 

Always exciting to get a trumpet. Placing a towel in the sink, taking it apart and putting all parts in soapy water except felts and top caps. Then soaking it in the sink with dawn dishing detergent. Running the brushes through the valves block, mouthpiece and soaking brushes in isopropyl alcohol. Also use qtips on all the caps. Rinsing and drying it off. Nothing better than a dry clean trumpet.

What brand of valve oil and slide grease do you use? 

So what mouthpieces will you be playing on it?

I play a off brand megatone 3c mouthpiece and use blue juice and use vasoline on the slides its a trick my band camp directors.And I really don't know if im going to keep my blessing its really old and im using the eastmen for marching so 

Edited by gsg

How do you like your megatone mouthpiece? Will your new trumpet include a valve oil? Many oils don't mix will together. Make sure to give a good bath to take off residue of old valve oil and slide grease. 

After you receive your new trumpet, tell us how it plays. 

Edited by Gendreauj
Wrong word

update the eastmen is amazing I just got it and have already felt the major improvement it plays so smoothly its crazy how much better it is 

and my mouth piece is great I love all three I got with the set and it was only 13$ it was good but cheap thanl u all for your help it wprked out very nicely 

cant wait for marching band