Denis Wick Heavytop mp vs Bach Megatop mp

Gendreauj

Curious about what your experiences were with using the Denis Wick Heavy top trumpet mouthpiece and or the Bach Megatone trumpet mouthpieces. Is there a major difference between these two mouthpieces? What are the benefits of using over a traditional mouthpiece? I use either a Denis Wick 3 C gold plated mouthpiece and a Yamaha 14 E trumpet mouthpiece. Recently bought a Yamaha 431 T trumpet and considering a new mouthpiece.

My experiences have been mixed when using a heavy top / heavy blank trumpet mouthpieces.  I've played Bach Megatone mouthpieces before and had good results on my Bach Strad 43* - helped focus my upper register and did improve some of the overtones/color of the sound in the mid-register.  I've also played other brands of heavy blank mouthpiece on my Bach and did not have quite the same effect on my Bach than the Megatone - but when playing on my Getzen is worked great!  I think in that case, it was related to the "gap" of the leadpipe receiver to the mouthpeice.

I would suggest you try them out on your specific trumpet, to see what you experience.  Borrow one from a friend, or buy from a shop that has a good return policy (Mouthpeice Express).

Hope this helps, let's see what others think here in the forum -

• 1 year later...

As of yesterday I am the owner of three Denis Wick Heavytop trumpet mouthpieces. Have  Denis Wick Heavytop trumpet mouthpieces in 1.5, 3 C, 4X, generic 3 C megatone and soon a Bach 5 C megatone mouthpiece. Selling the 1.5 and the generic 3 C mouthpieces. Didn't like the sound of the 1.5 mouthpiece in the higher register. Feel the 3 C has a more full and well rounded sound. 

• 1 month later...

Found out I like the Bach megatone mouthpieces better than the Wick Heavytop mouthpieces. Selling the Wick 1.5, 4 X trumpet mouthpieces on ebay. 

The Wick Heavytop 3 C is including with the Getzen Renaissance trumpet. 

Since I bought a professional trumpet, noticed I like the Bach megatone 5 B, 5 C mouthpieces.

The Canadian Brass trumpet was provided with a 3 megatone clone mouthpiece. 

Also like the Bach megatone 5 B, Wick Heavytop 4 C and Bach standard 5 C mouthpiece. 

Selling the Jupiter 520 M cornet. Included are two Bach 3 C mouthpiece and a standard Jupiter 7 C.